- 1 large can tomato juice (what they call a number 10 can) - use low-sodium and add your own salt
- chicken stock (volume to 1/2 of the tomato juice can)
- 3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- diced vegetables - onion, garlic, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, parsnip, celery, whatever you've got, just add lots of it!
- seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, etc.)
- hot sauce
- Basically, put everything into a big pot, bring it to a boil, and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly by water boiling off.
- Add just a dash or two of a Louisiana-style cayenne hot sauce toward the end. It won't be enough to add much heat, but it will really bring the flavours out. (Of course, you can add more if you want to bring the heat - it's your soup!)
Yeah, it's a simple recipe. Sometimes those are the best.