I think fresh beets scare people though - how the heck are you supposed to cook them? Short answer - roast them. Here's what we do:
- Rinse 1-2 pounds of beets under cool water to knock the excess dirt off, if necessary. If they are fresh beets, trim off the stems/leaves (use in a salad, they're even healthier!) and the "tail" at the bottom.
- Place them in a roasting pan.
- Roast at 350 F for 1 to 2 hours depending on the size of the beets - when a fork goes in fairly easily, they're done.
- Let them cool.
- Peel them (this is the messy part).
- Slice them, and re-warm them in the microwave.
- Delicious with salt, pepper, and butter.