Saturday, October 8, 2016

Homemade cranberry sauce

I don't know why I've never done this before, but it tastes AMAZING.  I had a bit more than I needed for tomorrow's, so I just ate the extra out of a bowl after it cooled - and it's all I can do not to dig into the main batch that's currently gelling in the freezer.  Make it a day before for optimal results.

Ingredients

  • 100 mL water
  • 100 mL real maple syrup
  • juice of one orange (I used a Valencia one, that's all the grocery store had)
  • zest from the same orange (extract this BEFORE you juice it, of course)
  • 1 x 12-ounce bag frozen cranberries (or use fresh - again, limited grocery store selection)
Instructions
  1. Combine the water, maple syrup, and orange juice in a pot on the stove over medium heat, and bring it just to a simmer.
  2. Add the cranberrries and zest and bring it back to a simmer.
  3. Keep a close eye on it, stirring occasionally.  Soon the cranberries will start to "pop".
  4. Once the cranberries are all done popping, simmer for a few more minutes, then remove from heat, place in an appropriate container, and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment