Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fall-apart ribs

You might have noticed I don't post on here a lot.  I had the best of intentions to do so, but this isn't my job.  It's not even my second job.  Or my third.  I haven't seen a penny of payment for this, in fact, so it's not a job at all.  That's not a complaint, I'm just saying - I guess I get out of it what I put in, right?

Anyway, since I started this blog, there's been a minor revolution in paleo - there are cookbooks (and I mean a LOT of them - I have a dozen myself, and I'll eventually start posting reviews here) devoted the the paleo way of eating.  In that respect, this blog probably isn't as necessary as it was, since there's lots out there now (a lot more blogs as well).  But I'm going to keep it, and I'll keep updating it when and where I see fit.  Like today, for instance.

Today, I want to tell you how I do ribs in the oven.  You might already know this, you might not, but the secret is this:  time.  Long time, low temperatures.  Here's what I do:

Ingredients

  • 1-2 racks ribs
  • barbecue sauce (lately I'm using Xyla brand, but I've also made my own)
  • lots of aluminum foil (yeah, not environmentally friendly - try to recycle it!!)


Instructions

  1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit, or the equivalent in Celsius.
  2. For each rack of ribs, lay out a single piece of foil longer than the ribs.
  3. Pour a bit of barbecue sauce down the length of the foil, lay the ribs on the foil length-wise, and pour some more barbecue sauce on top.  You can get pretty saucy now if you want.
  4. Bring the edges of the foil up and crimp on top - if you need more foil because your ribs are too wide, make sure the seam is on top, not underneath. You want to make sure any juices don't leak out.
  5. Lay the foil package of ribs on a baking sheet.  If you're doing multiple racks of rib, repeat with the other rack, and lay them side-by-side on the baking sheet.
  6. Bake in the oven for at least two hours.
  7. At this point, your ribs are technically done, and you have two choices:
    1. "Crisp" them up on the grill with more barbecue sauce, or
    2. Carefully drain the juices from the foil packets into a saucepan, thicken it on the stove by reduction, brush it onto the ribs as a glaze, and broil under your broiler for 1 minute.  Repeat three or four times until you have a nice thick coating of reduced-juice glaze baked onto the ribs.
Let them cool a few minutes, and dig in!  Napkins pretty much mandatory, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment