Monday, September 5, 2011

At last - Fathead, reviewed

I should have posted this a while ago. Actually, I should have posted several things a while ago. I'll hand-wave at the usual excuse, "I've been busy", and promise to do better in the future.

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, Fathead is now available in Canada via the Amazon and Indigo websites. For those who don't know, it's sort of a 'response' to the movie Supersize Me. In a way, it's really two movies in one - there's his own video diary of a 30-day junk-food feast (with a caveat - see below), and an examination of where nutritional science seems to have gotten off the rails since WWII. The latter won't contain much new for anyone who's already read Good Calories, Bad Calories, but it's in a video format with amusing animations.

The video diary part is interesting - as I mentioned, he (like Morgan Spurlock in Supersize Me) eats basically nothing but junk food for thirty days. The caveat there is that he limits his carbohydrate intake to approximately 100 grams a day. The results are rather embarrassing to established "conventional wisdom" - not only does he lose weight during his thirty-day experiment, but he also cuts his cholesterol.

I think I've pointed it out before, but Tom Naughton (the Fathead film maker, in that he made the film Fathead, I'm not calling him a Fathead) has his own blog that's worth checking out. You can even check out some clips from the movie here, and he's got his own Youtube channel here, at which he posts some additional stuff, including a talk he gave on the 4th Annual Low-Carb Cruise called "Science For Smart People".

Overall, I'd say buy this film and "accidentally" slip it into a friend's video collection - heck, if I had the money I'd be donating copies to the local library. Maybe even see if your local video store will order in a copy or two? (If they're a chain they probably can't do that because they need to order from the corporate catalogue, I think.) More people need to hear his message.

No comments:

Post a Comment